Friday 19 July 2013

Ice Cold in Alexandra Palace

Last night, inspired by the sweltering heat in these parts, we played a Western Desert game with my venerable army of microtanks, and my adapted Memoir '44 rules.


Above the British "defenders" dig in on what passes for terrain.  Below, the German anti-tank screen moves forward.


The British so-called "defenders" attacked from the outset, and eventually left much of the Afrika Corps burning in the desert!  This was down to a combination of superb cards and inspired play; one air attack, alone, took out most of an artillery regiment and also a battery of 88's.

In place of Heineken, we drank a chilled Italian wine.

9 comments:

Wargame News and Terrain Blog said...

Great looking game, I have never tried a game in that scale but it looks quite attractive due to the easy storage of the miniatures and terrain.

Cheers

BigRedBat said...

Yes it is very efficient; all the models and cards go in one really useful box; and the hills in two more. The mats take up a bit more space...

Paul´s Bods said...

Weird...I was reading up on the desert war yesterday :-)
The Roman wagon...peasy. If you want I can bung you some plans in (roughly 28mm) The only Problem I can see is sourcing some wheels but apart from that they are a doddle to make from scrap plastic.
Let me see...which Forum can i send you the plans on??? LAF?

BigRedBat said...

Hi Paul, plans would be great! My email address is on the front of my blog.

I was admiring the Warlord model, but it is just a little small for my tastes, so scratch-build would be a good way to go! Also, I am cheap. ;-)

Paul´s Bods said...

The warlord model, although it Looks nice it is bloody expensive!!! 25 quid! Mine cost...??...2 normal Pins :-D
Busy at the mo, but I´ll get around to it ASP..tomorrow . I´ll give a list of materials I used...all scrap stuff but with a set square and a sharp stanley knife it really is easy.

Hendrid said...

Looks to been an interesting game and definitely topical (or should that be tropical).

Nice film reference too! One of my all time favourite films.

BigRedBat said...

Mine, too. Love those war films....

Ray Rousell said...

Nice looking game Simon.

BigRedBat said...

Funnily enough, seven years on, I keep thinking about this game. I'm minded to play it again, or something similar. It was a blast...