Friday 15 February 2013

Charioteer and a Queen

My projected British chariot force has been delayed by the Raphia project.  However, I've just received around half of the crews back from my mate Nick Speller, and couldn't resist showing a few of the figures.


Above are some of the riders.  The figures on left and right are Wargames Factory celts, and at the rear is one from the more recent Foundry chariot release.  Nick has done an excellent job with these, but they aren't great sculpts; Foundry, in particular, should be able to do far better.  However the Factory minis were cheap, and easy to convert, and didn't need to be cut off their bases.  I think they will look great on the chariots.

Below is Boudica.  I fancied a "fantasy" queen of the Iceni, and this model from Newline Gripping Beast, lightly converted to make her a little taller, does the trick.  She is no beauty... especially since her face was pitted in the casting process.  She is also rather chinless.  She is, however, quite a character!  She will do, nicely.


A huge thanks to Nick for the great painting...

6 comments:

legatus hedlius said...

I suspect Boadicea (sorry, I'm of that age) looked more like this than some of the glamour girls we see sometimes! That said, I've just looked at some of my Foundry naked Amazon hoplites on my workbench and one or two of those might be just the job. In fact it's starting to coalesce in my mind the more I think about it!

Phil said...

Very nice looking charioteers!
Phil.

PatG said...

Great painting. Getting the lettering right on "Boudica" must have been a right pain. ;)

Ni. Tchirititch said...

The necklace makes it seems like she wears a beard! She truly looks like she could squeeze a Roman between her thighs. Well done.
Nico.

BigRedBat said...

Stop press! Legatus tells me that she is, in fact, Gripping Beast, rather than Newline.

Silver Whistle said...

Those figures have come out very well and a cracking Boadicea, even with the censoreship.
Cheers,
Pat.