Monday 5 September 2011

More Spiffing Romans

I swappped some stuff with Einar-Olafson Painting's Andres around the same time as he painted yesterday's Command figures, and the figures he gave me included around 20 Copplestone Caesarians, around half of which were completely finished, and the balance at least 60% there.  He has mentioned that he painted these some years ago, but the standard of painting is excellent (far better than I am capable of), particularly the shields.

I've done my best to finish the unit in a similar style.  I painted a standard bearer, completed the unfinished minis (saving a few of Andres' unarmoured legionaries for a later unit), and based.  Luckily there were just enough hand painted shields for the unit.  Click to see the details.


One small departure on basing; 20mm depth just isn't enough to do justice for these Copplestone  figures, so they are now the only unit in all my armies on 25mm depth bases.  They won't be the last, I'll do this for the whole  of the next legion (my third Caesarian).


I really  like the subtle variations in the shield designs (above).   Most of my Caesarians have plain shields, and I think of the figures with ornate shields, such as these, as being in the Praetorian bodyguards of leaders such as Octavian and Mark Antony.

These are by some measure my best-painted legionaries!

14 comments:

Paul´s Bods said...

They are very spiffing!!!!! The shield variations fit well with the armour variations within the group..lovely painting..
Cheers
Paul

BigRedBat said...

Hi Paul, I was chuffed to get these, as you can imagine. Unfortunately they make all my other legionaries look dowdy!

Caliban said...

Gorgeous. Here's hoping they fight as well as look good!

Paul´s Bods said...

Hi Simon...the Zvezda tower. I got asked on TMP about wether it would work with 28mm, so I put a perry bod on it (plastic WotR ) and yep..it looks fine..in a way it looks better.
They don´t make your legionaires look dowdy..not at all..they add to the mix.
Cheers
paul

Anibal Invictus said...

Godness what a menacing face expressions you have achieved!! I really like them

Willie Anderson said...

Those look great! you really managed to get the style right,well done.

Paul O'G said...

Just fantastic! I too love those little bits of individuality on the shields.

Anonymous said...

Yes a bit of variety in colour on the shields looks very realistic Simon.

DeanM said...

Fabulous work - those hand-painted shields are superb. Best, Dean

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps; I only wIsh I could paint shields like these!

Simon

Ray Rousell said...

I can well imagine you were chuffed with these, they're beautiful figures, the shields are simply superb, but I also like it the helmets in different colours, it adds a lot to the unit, if only we could all paint like this!!!

Dan said...

Absolutely awesome, I love them.

El Senyor Verd said...

Amazing work!

Paul´s Bods said...

Just to make sure...the bods on the siege tower are 1/72nd...i have put a perry fig on the tower and it looks good but it´s not in the photos
Cheers
paul