Sunday 13 March 2011

Onagri

I've finally completed my pair of onagers,  the heavy siege artillery for my Early Imperial Roman Army; although they currently lack opponents with a city wall!  However should the Parthian enemy* ever trouble the Eastern Frontier, they will come in very useful.

The models are Black Tree Designs, and the crewmen a mix of Black Tree and my beloved Foundry Salehs.  The first shots below are of the the catapult for my XIIIIth Gemina Martia Victix Legion, and the later shots are of the catapult for my projected second EIR legion.  All pics are clickable.

The onagers are protected against counter-battery fire, by anachronistic gabions (resin, from eBay).

Above, a tribune grimly surveys the lack of damage to the enemy's walls.

I added greenstuff and wire slings to the BTD weapons, and made some shot, too.

I'm very taken with LBMS's yellow shield design, which is just as well, as I'll eventually need to fit 240 more!

And finally the second onager, from the front.

I've almost finished the rest of the artillery crew; should be able to post them next weekend.  Then I'll get onto the senior officers for the legion.

*I do aspire to a Parthian army, and have started to buy some minis...

17 comments:

Paul´s Bods said...

They look excellent. I wouldn´t want to be the tribune..not standing where he is :-D
Great stuff...only another 240 to go...it sounds like you are going topaint a whole legion!
Cheers
Paul

Anonymous said...

Very nice indeed Simon, although I think the Tribune should not hang about in front when the things fired, or his further rise in the Roman army may come to a short sharp end?

BigRedBat said...

Cheers, chaps!

I imagine that the tribune legs it around the back, when the Onager is ready to fire. There is a dangerous kick to yer onager..

DeanM said...

Really nice work; lots of small details, like the amphora next to the shield. Regards, Dean

Ray Rousell said...

Very nice work, they look great!!!

Hetairoi said...

Very impressive Simon!

saxon dog said...

Fantastic,they will look great together on the table!

BigRedBat said...

Thanks, all, I'm really pleased with how they came out! I wish I had more bits like the amphora.

Vinnie said...

That is fantastic.. I had a Roman Army of lead at home, it has been sitting there for over two years now and still not painted.

CarloAntonio said...

Great stuff and great look !! Compliment !!

Best regards Carlo Antonio

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps, I'm just tonight varnishing the next batch....

Bluewillow said...

lovely mate, I am yet to do mine although I did do my scorpions last night!

what paint colour did you use for the timber??

cheers
matt

BigRedBat said...

Hi Matt, I sprayed them "sand", highlighted with a lighter sand and then washed them with Army Painter strong tone. Job done!

Grégory Privat said...

even if I share the same opinion about the tribune, I still love those candies )

APCollyer said...

Where did you get the wattle fencing and other parts for your Onaga. painting excellent as ever and a great blog

Cheers

Andrew

BigRedBat said...

Hi Andrew, they were sold in packs on eBay, quite cheaply. Gripping beast sell wicker fences, and Warlord wicker Roman battlemens.

Cheers, Simon

BigRedBat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.