Sunday 13 February 2011

Cohors IX et X, Leg. XIV Gemina Martia Victrix

This weekend I've managed to finish the last 2 cohorts of my EIR Legion, the XIIII Gemina.  Above is the IXth...

  ...and here is the Xth.  All photos are clickable.  

Both units are largely built of the same 3 poses of my favourite Saleh Foundry minis.  I painted half from scratch, and repainted the other half from an ebay purchase (I  notice that I still have a bit of snagging to do on a couple of faces).

...and now both together.   

I am really delighted to have painted all the 240 legionaries; next I need to paint a few personality figures, some more artillery and the legionary cavalry, and then I'll have the legion complete and can take a photo.  

Then I'll start another one.  ;-)

13 comments:

DeanM said...

Impressive; looks exactly what I think of when I think Roman legion. Dean

Paul´s Bods said...

Very good, very "heavy" looking.
Cheers
paul

Hetairoi said...

That´s a tough unit!
Hetairoi

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps! These are the boys that stopped Boudicca.

Simon

Matt said...

A whole legion? Bloomin' amazing...

Well done sir!

Regards

Matt

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work! They have a very "you shall not pass" look to them.

What set of rules are they based for?

BigRedBat said...

I really like static poses.

When I've finished the command figures, cavalry and whatnot I'll take a picture of the whole lot together.

Then I'll start painting another! :-)

BigRedBat said...

Re rules, they are based for DBx but I'll use them with Command and Colors, or a home written set, or just possibly Hail Caesar.

Gabriele Campbell said...

And I have a bridge for them to march across on my blog. :) Well, figuratively speaking; Paul Darnell would be the one to build a real bridge.

Chrisbump said...

shouldn't the 1st cohort be double sized? So you would actually have 264 figures per legion?
Or was that only in the Caesarian legions?

Beautiful work. Very inspiring.

BigRedBat said...

Hi Chrisbump, the first cohort became larger a little later than my 69-70 AD period, around the time of Trajan. I'll eventually paint some more figures up so that I can cover this, too.

Cheers, Simon

Larry said...

HEY!!! I'm building an entire legion as well. Are we nuts?!

I'm going to have to start reading through your blog. I found it looking for information the Leg. XIV as well. This is probably the Legion mine will be based on as well.

BigRedBat said...

A bt nuts, Larry.

I'm just painting some command, and will post pics of the full legion in a few weeks time.