Thursday 27 May 2010

Perdicas' Purple Phalanx Completed

This is the phalanx I bought on eBay and started to expand and repaint a couple of weeks back.

Above is the"before" shot. 

I did a lot of work on them in the end, but they were still a lot quicker than starting a unit from scratch.

So that is my first Successor phalanx complete; I ultimately want at least 8 such units, each identically structured, with 3 elements of 8 and 2 of 4 figures, with 100mm pikes and with the same shade of bronze shields.  I've started the second....

5 comments:

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

They're quite striking. I like it a lot.

Andrew said...

Lookin' good. I see you are not a painted helmet kind of guy (you know, blue or red instead of bare bronze).

A side benefit to your Zama board is you will always have an awesome background for you mini photos.

Ozvortex said...

Very nice. You even painted the tube that holds the two lengths of the sarissa together. Well done!

Richard Lockwood said...

All looks very nice! Look forward to seeing the other seven...
By the way, I am not entirely sure the "two lengths of sarissa" is the current explanation of the "mid-section collar" or tube. I seem to recall reading some analysis - possibly experimental reproduction - that said a "two part sarissa" is not a viable weapon as it would not have appropriate rigidity or strength. Or something.

BigRedBat said...

Thanks chaps!

Andrew, I will be painting helmets in some of the phalanx blocks (I have mostly blue helmets in my Macedonian phalanx for example). This unit os so "loud" I've not done this yet!

Hi Richard, yes I've read that, too, and I'm also sceptical about the joining collar. It seems to me that it would be very heavy and reduce the strength of the pike. I won't bother with it on the units that I paint from scratch, but it was easier to leave them on this unit.

I'm starting my painting early for the 2012 Ipsus Battleday. ;-)