Saturday 29 May 2010

A Little Roman Camp...

This is a 15mm marching camp I made for my mate Ian for his Birthday, last year.   Someone was asking on TMP about making ditched and banks.  There is on ditch, here, but there is certainly a bank!  It's not perfect; in particular the gate isn't correct,  but it'll look great on the table.


In the closeup, below, you can see the construction.  It is made of foamcore on a card base.  Each length is 8cm, by 4cm deep.  There is enough space on the walkway for 15mm DBx-based elements.  The sticks are broom bristle cut to irregular lengths, and glued into the gap between the pieces of foamcore.  It is primed a sand colour, and I need to paint it to match his battlecloth.


 This year for his Birthday, I'm going finish painting the terrain, and paint up some Baeuda tents to go with it.

5 comments:

Sigmar said...

Broom Bristles ?! A nice tip, I find matchsticks a bit on the thick side, I'd never considered broom bristles. The only problem is... how do I cut some off without the wife noticing ? Or should I just reduce every single bristle in size a bit so it's not so obious ;-)

Nice blog, I'll be back.

Sigmar
my WFB blog
my mini gallery

BigRedBat said...

They make good spears and pikes, too. One broomhead will last forever!

VolleyFireWargames said...

I have a 15mm Roman camp painted with a nice gated entrance it was done by a professional painter I think it might be worth 100 to 150 british pounds easily - too bad I live here in the states or I would sell it to you to go with you homemade one.

BigRedBat said...

I'm very much a 28mm gamer these days, but my mate is 15mm and there are battles where a camp is important (Magnesia, for example).

Geminian said...

Broom bristles Simon!!! Whoodathunkit!!! You`ve given me some food for thought.