Sunday 13 December 2009

When the levy breaks...

... Hannibal will need to throw in the Veterans!



These are the last 48 of the Carthaginian second line for Zama; levy citizen spearmen.  Essentially speedbumps to slow down the Roman army; we are going to make each unit fight as Auxilia, but with 2 hits instead of the more usual 4.    Gloarmy Greg painted these for me (merci!!) but most were smashed up in the post, hence the detatched shields, spears and general chipping.  :-(  On the plus side, they are recovering very nicely in the BigRedBat equivalent of Toy Hospital, and I hope to have them ready by Xmas.  So far, I've refixed all the spears, cleaned the old glue off the shield backs and started on restoring the paintwork.

The other 144 levy figures are finished (48 similar minis, 96 Thureophoroi standing in as levy). 

8 comments:

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

They look great. I like the color selection a lot. I'm never as creative as I should be with ancients colors. I think I will steal some inspiration from these figures on my next batch!

BigRedBat said...

Thanks Allan, I was keen for Greg to keep them colourful! I might even stick some Tyrian purple borders on their outfits.

Grégory Privat said...

are they frst package or decond package ? This would be a shame is package 2 have been damaged as I've spent like an hour on it ...

BigRedBat said...

Hi Greg,

32 of these are from the first package. The sixteen from the second package are perfect and needed no repairs! They have spears fitted now, and their shields are primed.

Consul said...

BRB!
I've just found out that Labienus defeated Caesar at Ruspina on my birthday, back in 46 BC.

Very cool.

Nice looking figures.

BigRedBat said...

Ah Consul, but Caesar would say that he defeated Labienus on your Birthday!

Anyhow, surely you are not that old?

;-)

Consul said...

And so he would, because he did! I got muddled up after your recent re-fight.

I'm doing well for 2,055!

BigRedBat said...

Hi Consul, in fairness Labienus probably said that he defeated Caesar, too. :-)