Tuesday 27 October 2009

Operation Zama- The legions are massing!

We've been making steady progress with the painting of the Romans and Italian allies for our Command and Colors Zama game at Bletchley and Salute in April 2010.

Keith at Aventine http://www.aventineminiatures.co.uk/ has been a staunch supporter of the Zama Project, and is painting two legions of their miniatures (216 minis).  Above, the first legion is completed aside from the 32 Velites (all pictures are clickable). 

Another shot of Keith's Italians; the  allied cavalry, with LBMS designs, look particularly fine!

These Principes have been painted by Craig Davey, who has volunteered to base one of the remaining 2 legions; like me, he has finished 2 units.

Finally, above are the Aventine Legionaries I painted in the summer, before I became lost in the plains and deserts of Numidia. I have planned time to paint the remaining 5 units early next year.

A particular thanks to Keith, who recently and kindly rebased his miniatures to match mine!  I'm really please with the way all the units match because of the shield transfers, red tunics and common basing style.

5 comments:

The Doc said...

Great collection you've got there! Brilliant as always. I really need to get some Aventines at some point. Maybe I could field a Syracusan Army with some Etruscan allies.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

There is something quite spectacular about seeing a Republican Roman Army done to this standard of painting. Well done.

Those white shields sure do look sinister.

BigRedBat said...

Thanks. It is a pleasure to work with people who paint so much faster than I! I think the full army with a core of 450 legionaries will be a stunner.

The new Aventines (and the Gorgons) are great. I do like the look of the earlier Italians, too; the pectorals, wierd Etruscan helmets and unusual shields. Not a period I had ever anticipated gaming, but I seem to be going that way...

The Aventine Phyrric figures should be good...

Secundus said...

Did you say Cammand and colours is going to be at Bletchley? Thats just down the road from me. Could you tell me more. I might be able to pop along and see your game.

BigRedBat said...

Secundus; why not come and play? As well as our game, which You'd be welcome to play, there is going to be a huge WAB game.

Its on 17th April 2010.