Friday 18 September 2009

My favourite troop type....

... are Thureophoroi.  I don't know why this it, I just love them to bits!

My good mate Nick Speller has just sent me 32 beautifully painted Thureophoroi, which will enable me to expand my existing 4 units of 16, to 4 of 24 ( http://bigredbat.blogspot.com/2009/03/many-completed-thureophoroi.html )


I thought people might like to see them before they are based, as they are from 3 different manufacturers and are a useful comparison of sizes.  The first four are conversions from Foundry peltasts.   The rest of the first and second lines are the new(ish) Polemarch figures, and the lower two rows are Crusader miniatures.  Most of the shields are Old Glory from a grognard mate in California, but a few are Essex with cast-on javelins.

My favourites are (very narrowly) the Foundry minis; there is something intangible about them that sets them apart, for me, even though the Polemarchs http://www.grippingbeast.com/shop.php?CatID=327 are more appropriate figures. The Crusaders I find just a little on the short size, and I'm not a fan of their crouching poses; nonetheless they are nice enough.

These minis will be in the big Zama game standing in as Carthaginian militia, alongside a similar number of proper Carthaginian minis. I hope to base these in 3 or 4 nights, then I'll get started on Greg's Numidians.

12 comments:

Consul said...

I love the Gripping Beast Polemarch ones, I considered getting some for use in my Macedonian/Successor army but I've managed to withhold until my Romans are completed!

I've just made a new post about my basing fiasco.

BigRedBat said...

Hi Consul, the GBs are nice, if a tad expensive. Won't be buying a lot of them this year!

I just saw your post on basing. Why don't you sign up on this site, run by a mate of mine-http://figoblogotheque.blogspot.com/ I check it every day and would eb able to keep up with your posts.

Cheers, Simon

Consul said...

I left a comment on one of the posts asking if they could add my blog to the listings. Is that what I should do?

BigRedBat said...

Yes, but I'll email him your blog.

Cheers Simon

RTB said...

I thought you painted your own these days Simon?

Bad Simon!

Roger

BigRedBat said...

Hi Roger,

I take whatever I can get! Anyhow, Nick paints better than me.

I am the world's slowest painter, and need 1300+ minis by April.

Simon

ZeroTwentythree said...

Thanks for the comparison shot! I do like the look of those Foundry figures. Glad to see shots of the Polemarch figures. They look nice, but I'm not sure I'm fond of the capes. I may still get some in the future, though. Right now mine (still unpainted) are all Crusader.

Christopher(aka Axebreaker) said...

Those are some very nice models.

I'd have to say my favorite troop type is any Viking with a two handed axe!(Insert evil grin)

The Doc said...

Beautiful stuff! I am revisiting my Greeks since my buddies started playing FoG and you are a grand inspiration with your Hellenistic and Italian armies. Your collection is stunning.

BigRedBat said...

Hi z23, I have to say I don't mind a cape on a mini with a Thureos, because there are some period pics of them with a cape on. But I wish I could put my finger on why I respect, but am not passionate about the Polemarchs. They are about a mm shorter than the WotGs, and perhaps a little more static in the poses?

Hi Axebreaker; viking with 2H axe; what's not to like? I have a viking army, tucked away, somewhere...

ZeroTwentythree said...

I think one of the nice things I like about the Foundry figures is the poses. They're a little more dynamic than the Crusader, who look a little more "at ease."

Don't know if/where I'll pick up many/any Foundry figures to try imitating your conversions, though. I'll have to keep an eye out for some at flea markets, etc.

BigRedBat said...

Hi Z23, I think you are right, the poses are more dynamic.

I scour eBay for peltasts, and sometimes find them in big lots of hoplites. The peltasts that don't quite cut it as thureophoroi will one day make it into a projected Jewish Revolt army.