Monday 6 July 2009

Return to Hommlet

At the weekend I ran a second D&D session for several of the smaller RedBats and friends. I've been really surprised how many and how enthusiastic they have been; we had a party of seven, including a couple of girls, which is really nice.

We are doing the Village of Hommlet, and doing it old-style; Second edition AD&D played exactly like it was played in the early 1980s (when I adventured there). The kids have all picked it up quickly and I'm looking forward to running a weekly session for the next month. It's all very nostalgic!

6 comments:

Chicago Terrain Factory said...

I have my original PHB and DMG (sadly, the MM is missing) the sitting on my book shelf, waiting for my daughters for when they learn to read. I just hope they will be interested in storming through the Keep on the Boarder Lands....

BigRedBat said...

Luckily I still have my original MM, but I had to borrow the DMG and PHB.

I was considering running Keep on the Borderlands- but that really is an old-school dungeon! Makes Hommlet look positively state-of-the-art. ;-)

Adelaide Gamer said...

So glad to see the education of the young continues. May the old be edified. Sounds like great fun and will be pleased to hear somewhat of your DM advnetures...

BigRedBat said...

Thanks; looks like most of them are coming back on Saturday for another Dungeon Crawl...

The Dale Wardens said...

BigRed,

Looks like it would be a lot of fun! How old are the little Littleredbat and crew?

You using any props (ie minis) or is this a strictly paper and pen game?

Dave

BigRedBat said...

Hi Dave, my 17 year old and my 11 year old are playing; the other kids are all 17.

I've dug out my old D&D minis (mostly Citadel c.1985; the classic era!). They look OK, and I'm restoring them and adding a few more. I have a vinyl mat and a very mismatched selection of dice; it's all pretty satistactory! State of the art for 1986. ;-)

Simon