Wednesday 6 May 2009

Legions of the Planned...

Last year I settled on a structure of 24 minis to the Cohort (1:20 representational scale). However, it has been becoming clear to me that I also want a structure that will enable me to field battles with up to ten Legions to a side. With ten Cohorts, and 240 minis to each Legion, I’m clearly never going to have ten of them!

So I’ve decided to create a parallel structure, with smaller Legions of 51 minis; a 3 mini command stand and 2 x 24s.

This should be fairly straightforward to do. The main implication is that I’ll need to paint 3 extra Cohorts to match “odd” cohorts, like the blue Caesarians I posted recently. I'll also need an additional half a dozen command stands, with shield designs matching the legions. Then I should be able to field 10 of the smaller "legions"... which would mean that I could field the OOB for Caesar's larger Gallic War battles (or one side of a big Civil War battles). I think it’s do-able…

6 comments:

Andrew said...

These cohorts have been built for your own homemade rules, correct? How is the rules process coming along? Do you have plans to sell it? If so, I'd love to have a go at designing the rule book (I make books for a living)

BigRedBat said...

Hi Andrew,

The rules are at a very early stage. I've decided on the concepts such as unit size (big), grid and morale/discipline, but there is still so much to work out including how exactly combat will work! Then they wil need to be tested, written up and tested again. And mates will need to like it them least as well as C&C or they will be toast.

So, realistically, they are a long way off. But I'd be very happy to confer as we go along, espacially if you know about books...

Simon

Grégory Privat said...

Fast analysis : you found a way to need more romans while doing as if you were reducing the number of romans needed for what you were willing to do. That s a lot of blabla just to buy more romans and command units (and I know you love making those little command units).

BigRedBat said...

Yes Greg, but we all need more Romans! Especially with all those revolting slaves about...

Secundus said...

More Romans...more Romans

BigRedBat said...

"When a man is tired of Romans, he's tired of Ancient Wargaming". I think Dr Johnson said that...