Tuesday, 28 March 2017

Flocking hills


I'm now in the final stages of preparation for the Wargames Holiday Centre gaming weekend in Basingstoke. Here are some old GW hills that I've re-purposed to match the "sagebrush" gaming mat for my Ruspina game (the one with all the Numidians). These are great products- sadly OOP but often encountered on eBay- sturdy, light and stackable. I've added scree, repainted, flocked, tufted and dry-brushed.

I an told by Deep-Cut that the mat that we will be using for the biggest game (not shown), Ipsus, is the largest mat that they have ever manufactured. So I probably have the largest production battle mat in the world.  :)  Muwhaha...

Monday, 27 March 2017

New 12cm mats


I got some more mats designed by Deep-Cut with a 12cm grid (shown here with a 13cm-wide element on top; plains above, sagebrush below). I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to use them for, but they are a good size being 15 boxes wide by 10 deep. 10cm-wide units would look great on them- I know chum Ian has some of those for "Maurice." I've put a few in the Shop.


Thursday, 23 March 2017

Casualties of war

Andrew Brentnall has been extending his ECW collection with some casualty bases- here are some of them, there are many more. We hope to make the battlefield a little less "parade-ground" than usual. Many will make it onto the table for his Edgehill game at the Wargames Holiday Centre, Friday week!


Monday, 20 March 2017

2017 Flockathon- part III- Numidians


Last week's Successors are all completely based; photos to follow. Above are the second and final plase of the Flockathon. This is (most of) my Numidian army, which has roughly doubles in size and been completely re-based onto 20cm BatBases. I hope to have them flocked and tufted by the weekend.

Friday, 17 March 2017

2017 Flockathon Part II


The first batch of minis are flocked and just need some more tufts, weed, flowers and a little dry brushing. I'm really chuffed with all the new Eastern light cavalry- I can start thinking about Magnesia and Carrhae, now, and one day perhaps even Guagamela.  :-)

I'm going to tuft tonight, drybrush tomorrow and aim to get onto the Numidians on Monday.

Monday, 13 March 2017

2017 Flockathon part I


With less than three weeks to go to my big Wargames Holiday Centre gig, I find myself with 700-odd minis to flock- the above are around one third of the total. I'm saving the joy of the Numidians for next week. The above include Parthians, Persians, Thracians, Carthaginians, Greeks, Goths, Successors and Spanish. Almost all are on my special 20cm irregular edged bases and half-sized bases.

For me, flocking is a multi-stage process:-

  • add static grass using flockbox
  • add big tufts (around 6-8 on the big bases)
  • add small tufts (way too many to contemplate)
  • drybrush tufts ochre
  • drybrush tufts buff titanium
  • add flower tufts (remembering that less is more)
  • matt varnish tufts
This will keep me very busy! :-)



Sunday, 5 March 2017

Edgehill at Chalgrove

Alongside the TtS Worlds at the recent Chalgrove event, Andrew Brentnall ran a participation game of the Battle of Edgehill using his superb collection of 12mm ECW minis and the "For King and Parliament!"rules that we have been writing and developing together. Here are some photos of the game in progress!

The calm before the storm. The Royalists begin their advance from the right,
 as Andrew shows the Earl of Essex how to identify his troops!

Gerard's Royalist Brigade negotiates the rough ground in the centre

Rupert's horse (centre, foreground) advance over hedges and uphill
 to drive off the static horse on Essex' left flank (right foreground)

Ballard's Brigade of Foot refuse to advance a second time,
as Ramsey's horse attempt to stem Rupert's onslaught

Wilmot breaks through the Parliamentary right, and sets off in pursuit!

The outcome of the battle was a decisive victory for the King - which might have ended the war in 1642.

The fKaP rules are coming on well, with all the key rule mechanisms in place and over 11,000 words written. We've spent the last six months in development and play-testing, with help from numerous chums. We are coming towards the end of that stage, now. I plan to pile on with writing the remaining text during the spring and early summer.